Friday 9 January 2015

Word of the Year

The new year is the perfect time to evaluate what you're doing and make changes if necessary.  I actually love making New Year's resolutions (though I seem to be one of the few).  Something about that blank and shiny calendar gets me all excited about my shiny, new goals.  And no, I'm not the kind of person who gives up 3 weeks into January.  I make it at least to the middle of February!

I'm not going to share my resolutions with you because they're boring and irrelevant if you aren't me...but I would like to share my word for 2015.  

I've seen this concept floating around the internet over the last couple years and I think it's lovely.  From  One Word 365:

Choose just one word. One word you can focus on every day, all year long… One word that sums up who you want to be or how you want to live. It will take intentionality and commitment, but if you let it, your one word will shape not only your year, but also you. It will become the compass that directs your decisions and guides your steps. Discover the big impact one word can make.

When I think about what I want my year to look like, there is one word that comes to mind:



Less talking...more listening.
Less buying...more saving.
Less busyness...more quality time.
Less distraction...more being present. 

Now, I'm sure it seems obvious that someone who tries to live a simplistic lifestyle would choose this word but hold the eye rolls for a second.

This is about so much more than just stuff (though I'd like less of that too!).  This is about eliminating all of the unnecessary things in my life that are taking away from what really matters.

I am pretty good at getting lost in distractions.  Especially when things get hectic around here (and with 4 children that is pretty much a constant state).  I can fill my head with thoughts about what I need to buy or what I need to do.  I can loet myself in Pinterest or keep myself so busy that I never have a moment of stillness.  I can talk and talk and talk without ever really listening.   But the chaos can be kind of beautiful if you step away from the distractions and really watch.  And I don't want to miss anymore.  






So this year, I'm focusing on less.  Less of the bad so there's room for more of the good.  Because there's a whole lot of good in my life and I want to be there for all of it.

How about you?  Do you have a word for 2015?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...