Wednesday 6 August 2014

Curriculum Choices for 2014- 2015 (7, 4, 3, and 1 year old)




After months and months of worrying, researching, and reading review after review after review, I have finally chosen our curriculum for 2014/ 2015.  It's ordered and most of it is on our shelf so there's no going back now!

This is our first year doing more than just basic reading, writing and arithmetic so it will be fun to see how it all pans out.  After actually reading some of our books, I have a feeling a few things will not work for us but I'd like to try them out to see for sure.  These children have a way of surprising me all too often!  

So here we go! 


We will do as many subjects together as we can to make life easier for me.  My kids are fairly close in age so I don't think this will be a problem.

History, geography and Bible: 
  • Simply Charlotte Mason's Genesis to Deuteronomy and Ancient Egypt
Science: 
  • Apologia's Exploring Creation- Zoology 1
  • Nature studies including Outdoor Hour Challenges and making nature journals
Personal Development:
  • Simply Charlotte Mason's Laying Down the Rails

We will also do artist and composer studies and scripture memorization.  I'm looking for a good family devotional as well but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. 


B is turning 7 and would be in grade 2 if I followed grade levels!

Language Arts:
  • All About Spelling Level 1
  • First Language Lessons 1 and hopefully 2
  • A Reason for Handwriting A
She is already reading fluently so I will continue to have her read aloud to me every day.

Math:
  • RightStart Level B
Handwork:
  • apart from the handwork we do all together, this is the year I teach B how to knit!  I am most excited about this!  We're going to start by making her very own pair of knitting needles and dying some wool for her first project!

W will be 5 in December and would be in Junior Kindergarden

I'm still very undecided with W.  We delayed academics until 6 with B and it worked out so well.  I am a big believer in play based learning and don't won't to inhibit that with W.  BUT...he's been watching his sister and her lessons and has been asking to have some of his own.  I am hoping that joining in on our family lessons will satisfy that need.  If not, I have Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and I may let him work through that with me if he would like.  

We've also got sandpaper letters and a chalk and slate board for him to try spelling and writing if he would like, and lots of math manipulatives for him to play with.  

A is 3.

R just turned 1.
My little girls will just be along for the ride.  I have the Seasons of Joy guides that I will use for circle and story time which is mostly for them (though the older two enjoy it as well).  A will join in for baking, drawing, painting (generally we do wet on wet watercolour) and seasonal crafts.  Otherwise, there will be lots and lots of free play!  

Oh, and R is hopefully going to learn to sleep.  

So that's it!  I am so looking forward to this year!

Check out the "not back to school" blog hop for more ideas.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...