Monday 10 October 2011

Halfway Homeschooling

This is the beginning of our first week of halfway homeschooling!  I am so excited about it and B is too!

I suppose I should explain.  We are "halfway homeschooling" because for now, B is enrolled in junior kindergarten.  She goes Mondays, Wednesdays and some Fridays.  When it came time to make schooling decisions, I was VERY pregnant and didn't feel like I would ever be up to the homeschooling task even though its something I've always wanted to do.  Even still, I have quite a few reservations about it, hence the "halfway" part.  Mostly, I'm scared to jump in with both feet and this seems like a good way to try it out.  B and I will homeschool on the days she is home.  If she likes it and I like it (and the other two babies fit in somewhere too) then maybe we'll make it a full time thing!

I want to homeschool.  I love the idea of it.  I'm terrified of it too.  Here's a breakdown:

Why I think it would be great:
I get to spend all day with B!  I miss her when she's gone.
I get to be sure she is learning the belief systems and values that our family feels are important.  
I can tailor lessons to her learning style and use things that are interesting to her, fostering that love of learning that kids seem to lose so quickly.  

Why I'm scared:
It requires organization, patience, creativity and motivation.  All of these things, I do not have. 
Its a huge commitment.  I would be responsible for her education.  That's HUGE!
What will people think?  I know this shouldn't matter and when we make our final decision, this will not be a factor in it  but it is still there in the back of my mind.  I can't help it!
B is in french immersion now.  Speaking a 2nd language is a huge gift.  One that I don't think I can give her on my own.  

My plan for now is to just get through this year.  After that, we'll see what happens.

Wish me luck...tomorrow will be all about learning how to balance 3 kids, housework and the letter A!

1 comment:

  1. I get where you're coming from, and I hope it's going well! We're kind of playing around with the decision during these preschool years. Alex is almost 4, so we have a year before making a decision. He goes to preschool ONE day a week while I'm at Bible study.

    Your pros & cons list looks almost exactly like mine, with the addition of "Can I teach my 4 year old while also keeping my 2 year old and baby entertained and out of trouble?!" Which I'll bet is one of your questions, too.

    Good luck as you journey this year to make your decision!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...